Labeling Requirements

All your cottage food products will require a label when they are sold or delivered to the consumer. For large items, these labels can be placed on the packaging, i.e., a cake box. Labels may also be affixed to individual packaging for small items. If you are selling loose items at a market, signs, placards, or cards must be available with this information. More information can be found in the Where You Can Sell. 

All labels must include:

        • The common name of the cottage food product
        • The cottage food product ingredients in descending order of predominance by weight
        • If the cottage food product contains a major food allergen, the word “Contains” followed by a list of the major food allergens that the cottage food product contains
        • The cottage food operator’s name, business name, Cottage Food Operator permit number, and municipality where the goods were produced (which much match your permit municipality)
        • The statement, “This food is prepared pursuant to N.J.A.C. 8:24-11 in a home kitchen that has not been inspected by the Department of Health.”

A sample label might look like this:

An example of what a sample with all the required information might look like.

Labeling Requirement FAQs:

Do all my goods require a label? What about samples?

Yes- you must always disclose with either a label or a placard the ingredients and allergens in your products- even if you are giving away samples or offering a client a tasting, such as for wedding cakes. These labels and placards don’t need to be elaborate, but they do need to be present. This is as much for your own protection as that of the consumer. You don’t want anyone alleging that you’ve hidden allergens or falsely accusing you of substituting ingredients.